In 1717, over three hundred German-speaking immigrants landed in Philadelphia and dispersed throughout the colony of Pennsylvania. Some of these—Denlinger, Bare, Groff, Landis, and Witmer families—struck out to the west, not far from where six Swiss-German settlers led by Hans Herr settled. Soon joined by the Kreider, Buckwalter, Rohrer, and other families, they became the first Mennonites to settle in East Lampeter.
They began to worship together, and then built a meetinghouse, a congregation that is today called Mellinger Mennonite Church. Hear stories from early settlers and prominent members of the congregation during half-day field trips on Saturday, October 21, from 9 am to 12 pm and 1 to 4 pm.
The tour will visit numerous locations including the house of Martin Mellinger, the prominent deacon who gave the congregation its name.
To register, visit www.lmhs.org or call (717) 393-9745. Tickets cost $50 for Society members, $65 for nonmembers. Registration is due September 21; seats available on a first- come, first-served basis.
This tour begins and ends at Mellinger Mennonite Church, 1916 Lincoln Highway East, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.